Monday, January 31, 2011

Arrival

So as of 1300 GMT this afternoon, I am now a citizen of Bath, United Kingdom.  But getting here was a hard road.  The red-eye journey from Newark to London was a bit of a nightmare.  I could not get sleep for the life of me.  Every time I seemed to get comfortable, the pressure in the cabin would change causing me to wake up and start all over again.  I was lucky in that I was paired up with a fellow with a similar issue.  Zach was on his way back to Capetown in South Africa after studying abroad at Skidmore this past Semester.  He too could not get to sleep.  At one point I almost was asleep 15 minutes when the pressure changed.  Thats when I noticed Zach and his grin.  "Hey Nick, the movie channel on board has a Tarantino marathon on, wanna watch?"  How could I say no to that?  So that was basically how I passed my time.  It was fun however and Zach was a nice guy.  It ended up being enjoyable.
 From Heathrow, I took a train that connected me to Paddington Station in London.  After picking my railcard and discounted tickets, I was on my way to Bath.  I arrived at one o'clock in the afternoon here and had moved in shortly thereafter.  The seven of us living here spent most of the day getting to know each other.  Every on seems to be really nice.  We have already walked to the center of the city...to get fish and chips.  We also walked through the famous Circus this evening.  It is truly astonishing and I will return to get photos of it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment